Monday, June 24, 2013

Meatless Monday

I always have a thought to switch to vegetarian
But how can I do it when I am a meat lover.
Eventually, found out that there was such campaign from my fav DJ on radio last week.
Just take a day off from meat. One day with no meat will not kill me.

Since exam is over, I can properly manage my diet.
And so I decided to go on this plan starting from this week.
Every Monday gonna be Meat-Free.

Why Meatless?

  1. Reduce risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
    - Everyone knows that having too much meat is bad for your body.
  2. Reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel.

    Facts: 
    - The meat industry generates nearly one-fifth of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions that are accelerating climate change worldwide.

    The water needs of livestock are tremendous, far above those of vegetables or grains. An estimated 1,800 to 2,500 gallons of water go into a single pound of beef. Soy tofu produced in California requires 220 gallons of water per pound.

    On average, about 40 calories of fossil fuel energy go into every calorie of feed lot beef in the U.S. Compare this to the 2.2 calories of fossil fuel energy needed to produce one calorie of plant-based protein. Moderating meat consumption is a great way to cut fossil fuel demand.

Why Monday?

Monday is typically the beginning of the work week, the day when individuals settle back into their weekly routine. Unhealthy habits that prevailed over the weekend can be forgotten and replaced by positive choices. A weekly reminder to restart healthy habits also encourages success. 

Source: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/


My thoughts: 

At first I was thinking what should I eat being a vegetarian on this day. Other than cooking vege at home, what can I eat when I dine out. Actually there is lots of choices out there. I can have salads, vege sandwich, vegetarian sushi, tofu dishes. Easy bitsy. 

Week 1: 
 Sze Min's Karaage Tofu Curry

 My Agedashi Tofu

My dinner : Sweet beancurd and seaweed sushi roll

Gonna keep this going. Hopefully for the rest of my life. :)

No comments: